Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Transamerica

I've just seen the trailer for Transamerica - and I'm now desperate to see this movie!

It looks fabulous, wonderful, touching, funny... My perfect film! I've not seen it, obviously, and hope it comes out here in the UK, but I hope it gets an Oscar! I also hope Capote and Brokeback Mountain get an Oscar, too

For too long, Hollywood has shied away from daring topics involving sex and sexuality, then, suddenly, like busses, loads come along at once. Oscars for these films will send out the right kind of message to film producers that it's ok to make films with characters who are fey, transgendered, or with men who love other men.

Perhaps it's just a matter of money, I don't know, call me cynical. Perhaps now gay people, out from the closet, are considered a part of the masses, perhaps now Hollywood wants their bums on the seats in cinemas, wants their cash.

Or perhaps society in general is more open to non-traditional topics?

Whatever the reason, it's a good thing. I hope Hollywood keeps it up.

Oh, a pal told me a couple of weeks ago about a work colleague of his who had gone to see Brokeback Mountain. I can't remember what her opinion of the movie was, but she did say that she was distressed to see unpalatable scenes of graphic gay sex (I'm paraphrasing here) only thirty minutes into the film. Anyone reading this who has seen the movie will be shocked to read this, but I think that such comments illustrate how ignorant and narrow minded some people in the world still are today. Thank goodness that Hollywood is moving away from that.


No comments: