Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Hiroshima



Hiroshima is not only a single by Sandra - it was the first site of nuclear warfare in the world.

It's a harrowing place, but strangely optimistic. Life still goes on it the city, in some respects, as if an atom bomb had never been dropped there. But underneath it all, you get the feeling that the residents are aware of it all the time. The A Bomb Dome is in the heart of the city. Thousands of people must see that permanent reminder every day.

Oh, that photo of Phyllis with those school children... They approached him and asked him of his opinions on war and peace and which was better. They took note of his answers and tried to take a photo of him, but some other child had the camera and wouldn't give it up. I took the photo they wanted and said I would email it to them. I did so as soon as I got home, but it bounced back: unknown. :(

The other photograph here is of me on a boat just leaving Hiroshima en route to Matsuyama. Oh, that boat, that awful woman. Dare I tell the story? I'll just pop out for a fag and be thinking about it...

1 comment:

Alan Fisher said...

I remember you telling me this story before but it's so good you've got to share it again!