Sunday, February 19, 2006

Liver

I made dog biscuits late this afternoon. How my poor darlings can eat them is beyond me. Making them has made the kitchen absolutely stink. But make them, I do, for my daughters love them, the bitches.

I got the recipe from a tiny wee book which I bought and paid £4.99 for, which I feel was a comple rip-off. To get my own back on the publishers for their exorbitant price, I shall reprint the recipe here:

500g raw lambs liver (sliced)
3 cups water

1 cup rice flour
1/4 cup porridge oats
1 cup rye flour
1 small bunch of parsley
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
2 tablespoons flax/linseed oil
I egg, beaten (you may include the shell if you wish)

  1. Preheat the oven to 200ºc (180ºc fan)
  2. Poach liver in three cups of water until it's no longer pink
  3. Remove the liver and set aside, keeping the liver stock
  4. Once cooled, place the liver, parsley, egg and 1/2 cup of the stock in your food processor and puree (give the rest of the stock to your dogs - they will love it!
  5. Place all the other ingredients into a large bowl
  6. Add the liver mixture and mix until a dough is formed.
  7. Cut out into desired shapes and lay on a silicone paper lined baking tray
  8. Bake for twenty five minutes
  9. When the cooking time is over, leave the biscuits in the cooling oven over-night to become really crisp and crunchy
This recipe makes three to five dozen healthy dog treats. They will keep for up to two weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

I feel like Barbara fucking Woodhouse, now.


2 comments:

Dan said...

They look oddly like dodgy brownies...

Minge said...

If only they tasted something like a Brownie!