Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine

Today is St Valentine's day. It's also National Contraception Awareness Week here in the UK. Spooky, eh!?

I used to think St Valentine's Day was fabulous, romantic and wonderful. Now I think it's sad, not in the pathetic sense of the word, more in the depressed, bitter, blue, pessimistic, dejected, cheerless, heartbroken, morose, glum, sorrowful, dismal, forlorn, hurt, low, lugubrious, gloomy, mobid, despondent, hurt, weepy and somber sense of the word. Christ, how many synonyms for sad are there? Isn't that quite telling? How many can you think of for sad?

My point? There is one, I promoise... How many people today were glad to receive a bunch of flowers and a card? How many people looked for the postman - an nothing arrived? How many people are grieving over a lost love? Or are hurt over unrequited love? How many people wish they could be with someone they loved - but can't? How many people wish someone was saying, "I love you."? It's sad, as I said.

Too many people today are feeling hopeless and full of sorrow. It's time St Valentine's Day was stopped.

9 comments:

stickola said...

I totally agree...what they bloody point. A bunch of pissie flowers from ASDA and a bit of cardboard. Someone saying "I love you" who is a bit younger than me is waaaaaay more appealing than that (mind you I'm hitting my peak now and he just cant cope)......Hee hee, sorry but just to pissed to be posting here now,
Nicki...xxx

PS; Minge, you are a star!

Minge said...

Great - let's scrap it.

Minge said...

Nicki, if I'm a star, you're a supernova, hen!

stickola said...

OOOOOhhhh dear...I was sooooooo drunk last night!!! heehee

stickola said...

Just remembered. It's also national chip week!

Dan said...

Don't knock V-day - it's the first time we can get a babysitter to have our kids, and they don't have to ask "what you doing?"

Valentines Day - Fobbing Off Kids Elsewhere since 1822*!



*date may not be accurate.

Minge said...

Hope all you Valentine lovers had a wild time.

Alan Fisher said...

i didn't even notice it was valentines day

Minge said...

Did you not get a card, Alan?