Friday, February 03, 2006

Wicked

I'm so excited! Wicked is coming to London!

It is set in the Emerald City before the arrival of Dorothy and Toto. Wicked tells how the good witch Glinda first met Elphaba, the green-skinned Wicked Witch of the West! And it's a musical! I'm so excited, I could shit!

Who will they get to play Dorothy? If the person is not already a gay icon, will they become one?

Finally, I'll be able to hear the word "wicked" without taking on its street talk connotation. Wicked does not mean good. It means:

  1. Evil by nature and in practice: “this wicked man Hitler, the repository and embodiment of many forms of soul-destroying hatred” (Winston S. Churchill).
  2. Playfully malicious or mischievous: a wicked prank; a critic's wicked wit.
  3. Severe and distressing: a wicked cough; a wicked gash; wicked driving conditions.
  4. Highly offensive; obnoxious: a wicked stench.
I had a wicked gash once.



5 comments:

Voix said...

In some parts of the US, the word wicked is used as a replacement for really, i.e. it was wicked dark down there!

I'm so jealous you're going to see Wicked. I hear it's fantastic.

Minge said...

Come with me! Flights to the UK are dirt cheap right now!

Minge said...

Does Dorothy actually appear in Wicked?

Voix said...

I don't know if she's in the musical or not. She does appear in the book -- Check it out if you haven't: Wicked by Gregory McGuire.

Great read.

Minge said...

Will do, thanks!