Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Haiku

I recently saw Memoirs Of A Geisha at the cinema. I was a little disappointed. The book is much better. However, at the end, Sayuri (Chiyo) says, and I paraphrase: "The heart dies a long, slow and painful death. Like a tree shedding its leaves, leaf after leaf, the heart sheds its hopes, hope after hope, until there is nothing left."

I thought this was a beautifully sad sentiment and wondered how to turn it into a haiku. I came up with this:

Hearts die a slow death
Hopes shed, as a tree sheds leaves:

Baron; all is ice


Then I got on a roll and made up some others. Some of them are rubbish, but I've left them in anyway.


I know loneliness
As does the last autumn leaf;

Lonely, together


I see loneliness

In the last leaf on my tree;

We are not alone


Walking on thin ice
Heavy burdens weigh me down;

Ice cracks and I die


You left me alone

My world has come to an end -

But summer still comes


Oversensitive;

I feel cactus spikes, bee stings

Alas, not your love


Standing in the dark

I can't even see myself;

But I see your void


Icy winter nights

Are tempered by your presence;

This summer was cold


Summer follows spring
And just as absolutely...
I will follow you


Autumn crane flies die

When children pull off their wings

You took my wings; death


Now that you have gone

I only talk with myself;

I say: I hate you


You said you loved me -

Just like the Venus-Fly-Trap

Welcomes a wee fly


The long winter nights

Mean I have longer to dream;

More time for nightmares


Keep your icy heart;

But take me, I beg of you

Lock, stock and barrel


I'm always dreaming

Of how I can get you back;

A valentine card?

It was Christmas day

You were gone and I was sad;

Next year I want you

No comments: