Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Mr Como

There's something about Perry Como which I don't actually understand. Apart from the Labour Party, everything my Father loved, I hate. Not based on anything other than the fact that my Father loved it.

I should hate Perry Como.

I don't.

I don't know why I don't hate him.

Also, I actually like For The Good Times. It sometimes makes me cry.
For The Good Times:

Don't look so sad, I know it's over,
But life goes on and this ol' world will keep on turning.
Let's just be glad we had some time to spend together,
There's no need to watch the bridges that we're burning.

Lay your head upon my pillow,
Hold your warm and tender body close to mine,
Hear the whisper of the raindrops blowing soft across the window,
And make believe you love me one more time,

For the good times
...

I'll get along, you'll find another,
And I'll be here if you should find you ever need me,
Don't say a word about tomorrow, or forever,
There'll be time enough for sadness when you leave me
...

Lay your head upon my pillow,
Hold your warm and tender body close to mine,
Hear the whisper of the raindrops blowing soft across the window,
And make believe you love me one more time,

For the good times...


For the good times...
He used to have some Perry Como material on one of those ancient 8-track cassettes and would play it over and over in the car.

I remember him being quite nice to me in the car. He'd ruffle my hair, look at me and smile, pinch my cheek, tell me jokes... He was only ever nice to me when we were alone. Sometimes it made me feel uncomfortable. Mum went out to bingo one evening and it was just Dad and I at home. He sat in his usual arm-chair and I sat on the settee. I love that word, settee. Anyway, he got up out of the chair and came and sat next to me. I remember very vividly that The Good, The Bad And The Ugly had just started on the television. He put his arm around me and there it stayed until the film was over. I think I froze the whole time, wondering when he'd suddenly change, when would he start to snarl, when would he swear and shout, when would he foam at the mouth, when would he hit me?

He didn't.

He even smiled a few times. He nibbled my ear. He told me I'd better go up to bed before Mum came in or he'd be in trouble for letting me stay up so late, after all, it was school the next day.

I was frightened of going upstairs alone, but more frightened of him, so I did it, but left all the lights on in my wake.

I quickly washed my face, but didn't dry it nor brush my teeth. I didn't want to stay in the bathroom any longer than I had to. It scared me to death.

I remember lying in bed, too frightened to go back out to the landing to switch the light off, too frightened to call, "Dad! Can you switch the landing light off?" I wanted it on in any case. Mum always left it on for me. I felt sure the light would go off any second, but it didn't.

Next, I heard feet coming up the stairs. Who was it? A ghost? A monster? Dad?

It was Dad. I saw his face and felt sure he was going to tell me off for leaving the landing light on. He didn't. He just asked, "Are you alright?"

I nodded.

I thought this would mean he'd now turn my bedside lamp off, then the landing light, go downstairs and leave me in the pitch black. I knew I was about to cry. Everything was stirring inside me.

He didn't turn a single light off, just walked away, downstairs, shut the living room door and that, as they say, was that.

Moments later, Mum came in. I heard her go directly into the toilet downstairs. No surprise there. She went into the living room. I heard mumbled voices. No shouting. Phew. Then she came up the stairs.

I pretended to be asleep, but she knew I was awake.

"Do you want a drink?" she asked.

I didn't, but I knew if I asked for one, it would mean she'd come back. So I said I did. I wanted orange squash.

I can't remember any more. I suppose I fell asleep before I got my drink. All tension was gone and I was so reassured to know Mum was home.

I love my Mum.

No comments: