Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Existentialism

Oh, I just can't help myself, can I...!?!?

Now I'm thinking about existentialism. I should know better than to watch films like 2001 and Donnie Darko. Really, I'm such an idiot. Why contort my mind, worrying about this, transcendental mysticism and a possible afterlife when I could be watching UKTV Food?

As if Pi and giant diamonds didn't freak me out enough...

Ok, so I think I only have one thing to say about existentialism: it's not all it's cracked up to be. Ok, so we know we're going to die. Meg and Mary (my dogs) do not. I know who I'd rather be. All they care about is getting a walk and being fed. They don't even seem to care if their bed is comfortable or not. Really. They sometimes like to sleep on the hard, bare floor! The downside to being a dog is that you don't know about falling in love, grief or ecstasy. You don't miss what you've never had. Dog or human? I know I'd rather be a dog.

Do dogs go to heaven? Do they care if they have a silk collar or a cotton one? Do they have opinions?

Do human beings really have opinions, I mean, really? Or are we pre-programmed with information which we simply spout?

Wouldn't it be more beneficial if we spouted tea instead of words? Or not? Not, probably. And which is better, a cup of tea, or a tea of cup? Is a teapot really no use without its lid? Of course it is. I often make tea for one in a mug and there's no lid on that.

Say this, over and over, getting faster and faster as you do: Wouldn't it be funny if a lady had a..."

Is any of this making sense? Does it matter if it makes sense or not? Is that a rhetorical existentialist question?

What?

I know.

Pop groups, clothes and hunky men...

5 comments:

Chelle said...

Wow.... Getting your world view together... cool..

There should be an Overthinkers Anonymous. I'd be the first to join and the first to quit.

Kinda like being this way.

Minge said...

Can I be second to join?

Minge said...

Those damned existentialists wouldn't let me in!

Brian Farrey said...

I'm sorry but you've done nothing in this post to convince me that you really exist.

You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

Minge said...

As an existentialist, you don't exist either. So are there two computers pretending to one another? Jeez, this is so gaydar.