Monday, July 03, 2006

Americans

In hono(u)r of all my pals from the USA, I'm drinking iced tea this afternoon.

What are you drinking, dear reader?

Here's my recipe:

1 English Breakfast tea bag
1 litre boiling water
1 orange
1 lemon
1 lime

Warm your tea pot, hen. Pop the tea bag in and pour on the boiling water followed by the paired zest of the citrus fruits. Careful not not cut into the pith or your tea will be vile and bitter.

When the tea is room temperature, squeeze the juice from the fruits and add to the tea.

Serve with lots of ice.

I don't like sweetener or sugar added, but you can if you like. Another added ingredient I dislike is mint, though lots of people go for it. If you're going to add it, take an average sized bunch of your favourite variety. Add half to your tea at the very beginning along with the boiling water. Add the remaining half at the very end, upon serving.

My cousin likes iced tea with a shot of her favourite spirit added at the end. She says you can hardly taste it, but she knows it's there. Please do so, if you wish, however, don't add anything like Bailey's or Dooley's. It will be absolutely vile.

7 comments:

Brian Farrey said...

Do you generally enjoy fruity tea? I should bring you some of the pomegranate green tea I've fallen in love with. Great stuff.

Minge said...

Please! Bring it! I will love you forever! The Pomegranate is my favourite fruit (apart from you!) and I adore fruity tea and green tea.

Sounds like heaven in a cup!

Alan Fisher said...

what does "pith" mean? Is it the skin?

Minge said...

It's the white fluffy stuff immediately under the skin. You know, like the white stringy bits you get on an orange.

Moncrief Speaks said...

I am drinking coffee.

Alan Fisher said...

please see comments in your "foggy lamp-post" post asap and let me know what you think!

Minge said...

I just had coffee! Can you see my old cup!? I pinched it off of a BA flight to Southampton. I wish I had a set. Coffee tastes so much better out of it.