Thursday, July 13, 2006

Birthday

Phyllis is going to be forty years old very soon. I hope to God that I will look as good as he does when I'm forty. However, that's not going to happen. He already looks younger than me.

Check out his birthday countdown on his blog.

The poor lad doesn't want a fuss made of this mile stone. He didn't want a party or a wild night out. Instead, I shall bake a cake, we'll go out for a meal and have a drink or two.

I don't know where we'll go out to eat yet, but I'd better hurry up and get a table booked. Time is running out. There are some lovely restaurants in Edinburgh, so I guess we can take our pick. It'll probably be that fabulous little Japanese place on Lothian Road or one of many Chinese, Indian or Italian restaurants. However, it would be nice to try something different, different cuisine or a different take on eating altogether. If you have any ideas, dear reader, please
email me!

He does know what kind of cake he wants, though: a simple victoria sandwich with cream and raspberry jam. I'll do my best.

I don't know how I'd feel about an impending fortieth birthday. I simply have no idea. All that I do know, is that by the time you're our age, birthdays, sadly, are just like any other day.

How I long for pre-teen birthdays, party food, cake, games, hats, raucous laughter...! Those days are long gone. It's good, though, that we still know some children of that age. I hope we get an invite to their next birthday parties.

2 comments:

Brian Farrey said...

Phyllis is prettier when he smiles. Scowling does not become him. Make him smile.

Minge said...

He only smiles when I give him a chocolate finger.