Thursday, June 22, 2006

Sonnet 94

William Shakespeare's Sonnet 94 is fabulous, and is my favourite.

What's yours, dear reader?

They that have power to hurt and will do none,
That do not do the thing they most do show,
Who, moving others, are themselves as stone,
Unmoved, cold, and to temptation slow,
They rightly do inherit heaven's graces
And husband nature's riches from expense;
They are the lords and owners of their faces,
Others but stewards of their excellence.
The summer's flower is to the summer sweet,
Though to itself it only live and die,
But if that flower with base infection meet,
The basest weed outbraves his dignity:
For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;
Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds.

4 comments:

Alan Fisher said...

Did you just cut and paste that from somewhere to make yourself sound intelligent and well-read?

You read Harry Potter, for Christs sake!!!

Minge said...

I don't read Harry Potter! JK puts up to 32 clichés on one page!

I didn't copy and paste that, actually. I know it off by heart!

Alan Fisher said...

Ooh, get her!

And there's nothing wrong with Harry Potter, just for the record. I like to read those books on trains so that people think "aw, bless... he's thick as shit"

Minge said...

I don't like authors who use initials instead of their real name. It gives me the willies.