Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Birthday reading

Books are like good friends; they stay with you for ever.

My sister and her husband gave me some book tokens for my birthday, as did my niece and her boyfriend (they've since split up).

I took said tokens, dear reader, to a book shop here in Edinburgh, on Monday and bought:

The Italian Boy: Murder and grave-robbery in 1830s London by Sarah Wise
The Universe In A Nutshell by Stephen Hawking
and
Our Betty: Scenes from my life by Liz Smith

I haven't read a word yet, but am desperate to.

I'll let you know how I get on.

5 comments:

Alan Fisher said...

can I borrow them after you've read them (and before you flog them on eBay?) They're exactly the kind of books that I like to read.

I don't have any books out here and it's very annoying. There's a bookshop down the road but everything's in Russian. I asked for an English book but when she pulled out "See Spot Run", I left the premises.

Alan Fisher said...

i was just looking at some of your links over to the right and I see that your "mingeandphyllis" gaydar profile is no longer available. What've you done with it?

Minge said...

Sure, I'll lend you the books, hen.

Try the gaydar thing again. It's working for me.

Anonymous said...

Is the Sarah Wise book the one that The Resurrectionist is based on?

Minge said...

That's the one, hen!