Friday, June 16, 2006

Haddock

I just saw the fish-man drive into our cul-de-sac. Well, I actually heard him before I saw him. He toots his horn several times to attract attention/customers. I've never bought anything from him.

He sells eggs, too.

He parks up, opens the back of his wee van and pulls various trays out into the sunshine. It looks quite pretty actually, even from this distance, glistening and twinkling in the sun. It's quite something to see ice outside of one's own home in June.

For some reason, I then started to think about his wares. I feel sorry for all those dead fishes. Why can't people eat a nice aubergine instead? The aubergine doesn't have to get yanked out of the sea and either whacked on the head or left to suffocate in order to be eaten.

The fish I feel most sorry for is the much maligned and beleaguered haddock.

People aren't very kind to the haddock. It's frowned upon by food snobs, a second class ingredient in the kitchen and, as a metaphor, it's treated very poorly indeed. If someone is sad or glum looking, they're often described as haddock-mouthed. Cruel! Who said the haddock can't be happy?

Well, I suppose it could be happy if we left it to swim in the sea instead of killing it, battering it and eating it with chips/french fries.

Have an aubergine instead, dear reader.

12 comments:

Alan Fisher said...

I've nothing to add or comment about on this particular post about haddocks. In fact, it bored me to tears reading all that awful guff.

I was, however, slightly interested in the fact that you live somewhere in our fabulous capital city that delivers food in a van.

Minge said...

I love mobile shops. Sorry to bore you. I'll excite you later, like I used to in the old days.

Alan Fisher said...

Next you're going to THRILL me by saying that the mobile shop used to be an Ambulance?!?!

My uncle used to have one of those fruit and veg ambulances. It was fabulous. I would go with him to California (a small town near Falkirk, seriously!) and we'd sell Galia melons to women who'd just collected their Giro's.

Minge said...

I've been to California! I even took a photograph of the sign. It's fabulous!

Minge said...

Which do you think came first, the town near Falkirk or the US state?

Alan Fisher said...

Obviously it's got to be that shitty little village... the Yanks steal all of our place names.

Except Gropecunt Lane, of course.

Minge said...

What's the name of the street the White House is on? I know it begins with a P... They should change that to Gropecunt Lane. Fabulous.

Moncrief Speaks said...

Pennsylvania Avenue.

Named after a state named after a British guy, William Penn. We do steal all your names.

Moncrief Speaks said...

Gropecunt Lane! Is that for real? Ha ha! Love it.

Minge said...

Yes, Gropecunt Lane exists. Or, it did exist...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gropecunt_Lane

Alan said...

I have to say, I don't do fish, or anything remotely fishy.

Minge said...

Not even a nice kipper for breakfast?