Thursday, June 22, 2006

Rambling

I've just been looking through some random blogs. I found something which I thought was quite interesting, so pinched it. I'd give the original author a link, here, but I closed the damned window and now can't find it!

Anyway...

We're all used to bigging ourselves up these days, the glass is half full, not half empty and all that. Time to switch. Five negative words which describe me:

Vindictive
Spiteful
Foul-mouthed (is that one word?)
Lazy
Greedy

So, there we have it.

Can you think of five negative words to describe yourself, dear reader?

It's not even dark outside yet, and it's presently 23:50. It was the longest day yesterday, so the nights will be drawing in, now. I can't believe the year is more than half over. Where does all the time go?

I love the Summer, but the only down side is that for two or three weeks at this time of year, it doesn't actually get pitch black at night. The globe of the sun will disappear behind the horizon, but she still leaves a glimmer behind. Before you know it, she's back in the sky again. Have you ever tried going to sleep, dear reader, when it's not dark? It's not easy.

I shouldn't complain though. I'd rather have it this way. In the depths of Winter, the sun doesn't come up until about 09:00. By 14:30, the lights have to go on again. Not fun.

I think I'd like to live on the equator. There are no wild seasonal variations there. The horrid down-side to that is, though, that there's all of nature's experiments-gone-wrong to contend with. Deadly insects, massive spiders, hurricanes... We have none of that here in bonnie Scotland, thank the Lord. It would be nice to have the weather, though. How fabulous would it be to not have to own a coat?

I have lots of coats. I could give them all away to charity. I'd keep one. Just the one. For sentimental reasons. I could look at it and remember the days when I used to have to wear a coat.

I could get rid of all my hats, too.

Oh, perhaps not. My lack of hair means the top of my head can get burned. I'd need to keep a sun hat.

Of course, climate change could mean that one day, I can get rid of all my coats and wooly hats. Or, it could mean that I'd have to buy a pair of snow shoes! Just because the Earth is warming up, does not necessarily mean that Scotland will get warmer, too. I saw something on the TV a while back. I'm not too hot with all matters scientific, so this may not make much sense. The rise in global temperatures may mean rainfall is dramatically reduced in northern Europe. Therefore, rivers and streams won't be sending out as much fresh water into the Atlantic. If this happens, the salinity of the north-eastern section will be increased, the gulf stream may change course or stop altogether and this, in turn, will mean north-western Europe will get much colder. Apparently, it will be like living in northern Canada.

So, dear readers, this is my appeal to you: Please turn off your lights when they're not in use, don't overfill your kettle, don't leave your TV on stand-by when you go to bed, turn your central heating down by 1˚c, don't leave your tap running when you're brushing your teeth*, use energy efficient light bulbs and use public transport as much as possible.

Please do these things or I'll end up freezing my tits off.

*Water is pumped by means of electricity. How do you think it gets up hill? If you use less, your water company will cut down on the amount of electricity it uses, less fossil fuels will be burned, less carbon dioxide will be released into the atmosphere and global warming could be slowed down.

Sorry for rambling.

Oh, just one other thing... If you've made it this far, a few more sentences won't bother you:

The Euro - €

Why can't we, here in the UK, have the Euro?

I think it's a fabulous idea.

Firstly, put simply, I'm an internationalist. If we all considered ourselves international people (which, basically, we all are these days) and didn't speak of nationality et al, we'd all get on a lot better. We'd not worry about putting up a flag in case it offended someone if the whole world only had one flag. An Israeli wouldn't offend a Palistinian simply by virtue (virtue?) of his or her nationality. See where I'm coming from? If there was a world currency, everything would be fabulous. I wouldn't have to worry about getting Bank Of England notes when going down to England through fear of someone looking strangely at me in a shop and asking their supervisor, "Do we take Scottish notes?"

My other point might make me look like a capitalist. I'm not, but, here goes:

We in the UK trade mainly with our other EU partners. If we had the same currency as them, we'd save money by not having to exchange currencies left right and centre. If UK businesses saved money, they could either employ more staff, pay their employees more or make more profit. In any case, the treasury would make more money in tax, the government would have more money to spend (on us) and we'd be a lot happier.

Wouldn't we?

Again, sorry for rambling, dear reader.

I'm off to bed now (once I've checked a few more blogs and had a wee look to see if I've got any comments).

8 comments:

Lucas said...

5 negative words to describe me

Moody
Control-Freak (the hyphen makes it one word)
Crass
Judgemental
Impatient

And yes, I actually made it through all your rambles. I enjoyed them actually. And thanks for asking for my 5 worst. It made for a fun conversation between me and the hub. ;)

Minge said...

Did hubby come up with five, too, hen?

A Novelist said...

5 negative words to describe me:

Sensitive
Naive
Procrastinator
Timid
Self-conscious

Alan Fisher said...

5 negative words to describe me:

Emotionally-Selfish
Anti-social
Moody
Sadist
Materialistic

Minge said...

A novelist, sensitive isn't a bad thing! It means you're a realist. I'd rather you were sensitive than didn't give a shit.

Alan, do you really think you're anti-social?

Alan Fisher said...

I love going through random blogs. There is such variety out there.

sinner said...

lustful
irresponsible
lazy
spendful
selfish

Minge said...

Zona, lustful is cool.