- 500g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 50g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 25g Trex (hard vegetable shortening) in small lumps
- 300ml buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (NOT essence)
- 25g caster sugar
- 75g dried chopped apricots
- 25g almond flakes
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7/220ºC.
- Sift the flour, bicarb, cream of tartar and salt into a large bowl.
- Rub in the fats to the crumb stage.
- Beat the egg and buttermilk together with the vanilla extract (though reserve one tablespoon) and add to the crumbed flour/fat.
- Knead breifly to form a dough before adding the apricots.
- Roll the dough out to a 3 or 4cm thickness.
- Cut scones out with a 6.5cm round cutter. You should get ten or twelve.
- Place your scones on a buttered baking sheet, brush with the reserved tablespoon of buttermilk/egg/vanilla mixture before scattering them with the flaked almonds and slam them into the oven.
- Bake for ten minutes (depending on your oven) or until well risen and golden.
- Serve warm from the oven with clotted cream, your favourite jam and a nice cup of coffee.
They really are rather good.
Nice to make a scone!