Saturday, March 04, 2006

Eurovision

I've just watched Making Your Mind Up on BBC1. We're sending Daz Sampson to Athens in May to represent us in the Eurovision Song Contest!

To be honest, Daz was the best of a bad bunch. I had a hunch he would win, even up against the likes of Antony Costa and Kym Marsh. So what gave him the edge? In my humble opinion, his was the only memorable song among the lot of them. The rest were instantly forgettable. The Lyrics to Teenage Life are ridiculous, but the song is so catchy, you can't help but prick up your ears. Of course, I was humming it within minutes of the show being over whilst walking the dogs - and something hit me. No, not a nun on a motorbike... The song, in parts, sounds like Dido's Thank You. If you get to hear it, please let me know if you agree in the comments. Is it just me? I don't think so.

Will we win in Athens? No. I'd put money on it. We really have to start trying much harder. Who picks the six finalists for Making Your Mind Up and are they deaf, blind and mute? Why are no big stars up for the job? Too afraid of failure? I guess so.

I'd love to see Madonna and Kylie do a duet for Eurovision with the music provided by Pet Shop Boys. Very eurodisco. Would we win then? You betcha!

At least we're sending someone with something original. Practically all of last year's entries were horribly formulaic. Every song seemed to be a cross between Sertab's Every Way That I Can and Russlana's Wild Dances.

I've no idea what the quality of the songs will be this year, but I'm not hopeful.

Click here to see a list of past winners. Who will be added to the list for 2006?

5 comments:

Alan Fisher said...

bugger, I missed it

Minge said...

You didn't miss much, hen. What were you up to instead and did it involve Savio? Was your use of the term "bugger" a freudian slip?

Alan Fisher said...

ha ha, no! But we're going out tonight to see a show.

Minge said...

Fabulous! Hope you had a great time. What does your beau think of your teeth?

Alan Fisher said...

i wouldn't call him my "beau", exactly... we're just having fun. But I really like him.

I went onto babelfish today and got them to translate "if I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me" from English to Portuguese. I then emailed him the translation and he just turned aroung and grinned at me.

I love flirting!