Tuesday, June 19, 2007

TTFN

Our last evening in Japan was spent performing Karaoke.

Our day in Disneyland over, Ian and I made our way back to Shinjuku to meet up with our most delicious of friends, Alan and Junya. We were unusually early. In waiting, I was flattered to find the Japanese people passing by would stop to admire Ian in his Fantasia/Sorcerer's Apprentice headgear and me in my Minnie Mouse wedding veil. Of course, they hated to be caught looking. When I'd turn around to see them, heads turned, looking back at us, they'd bow their heads of cover their mouths and giggle in that cutesy way, the way only the Japanese people know. Of course, some were brave, would ask where we were from or say, "Cute!" By and large, though, they were shy, yet intrigued to see a fat Westerner in cartoon drag.

The Minnie Mouse gear came in very handy indeed. After meeting up with Alan and Junya, we headed off to a Karaoke place, taking an all you can eat and drink package with karaoke. I adored singing, favourites being a medley of West End Girls/So Excited (I Could Vomit), I Begin To Spin Around and Like A Virgin. Like A Virgin simply cannot and should not be sung without a wedding veil worn. Our waiter did his level best to ignore me singing that song to him when he came into our room with beer, sake and food, though he did leave with a smile on his face. Which was a picture. A better picture would ha
ve been the look on his Mother's face when he returned home after his shift. I can picture it now.

"Kon Ban Wah, Ma!"
"Hi, darlin'! How was your shift?"
"Well, you'll never believe it, but this big, fat Western Man dressed up in no small way like Minnie Mouse tried his seduction techniques on me by singing Like A Virgin."
"Have you been at the medicine cabinet again, son?"

Oh, to be a fly on the wall.

Ian's highlight, I am sure, was singing Hung Up. He seemed to really enjoy it. Alan amazed us by singing in Japanese and Junya amazed us with his strong, yet somehow delicate and fragile voice.

We had a blast. We really did. Such fun.

But then it was time to go. Alan and Junya came back to the hotel with us to pick up some Irn Bru and some cables we'd borrowed in order to recharge our electrical devices. After a very short stay, it was time to go in order that they caught their final train home.

A sad goodbye and a sad ending to the happiest of holidays.

I miss Alan and Junya more than I can express, all thanks to the limits of language. Needless to say, I love them dearly and look forward to seeing them soon, God willing.

9 comments:

Krafty Bitch said...

Will you sing to me when I'm over next time?

japanesewhispers said...

Thank you so much pet. We had a fabulous time as well and we miss you guys soo much! You forgot to mention your fabulous singing in German 99 Luftballons. We should rebuild the axis together you and I, we just need someone who speaks Italian.
That waiter was so funny, his face when he was trying to ignore you beckoning to him. Hilarous, what a night! FABULOUS!

A Novelist said...

I missed you! I'm glad you had such a fabulous time! Good to have you back! Talk to you soon. xoxo :)

Anonymous said...

Mingey Mouse?

I wish I loved travelling as much as you do. *lives vicariously*

Lost Boy said...

Ooh I like your new header image. However did you do that? You been on a coding course while in Japan?

Alan Fisher said...

what a fab picture! you shoulda worn your blonde wig too!

japanesewhispers said...

I love the Blonde Wig, reminds me of the Co-op days and Mr Popazogalous

RIC said...

Great, great photo in your heading, Minge! You've made it after all! Congrats, dear friend!
Hugs from the Princess of the Tagus! :-)

gab said...

nice ears